Who is Neighbor Ride?
Neighbor Ride offers affordable, door-to-door transportation for Howard County residents, age 60 and over. Our team of volunteer drivers provides roundtrip rides for medical appointments, shopping, social outings, faith services, wellness activities, and more. Transportation is available daytimes and evenings, 7 days a week to destinations in Howard County and surrounding areas – up to 35 miles passengers’ homes. Modest fees are charged, with subsidies available for income-eligible individuals.
Interested in getting involved and helping local seniors stay healthy, independent, and connected to the community? We have flexible daytime, evening, and weekend opportunities available. Using our web-based Ride Match scheduling platform, volunteer drivers can simply choose rides that are convenient to their homes, offices, and daily routines. No set schedule is required.
5 Fun Facts About Neighbor Ride
1. Neighbor Ride launched our transportation service 17 years ago, with just 20 volunteers on board. Today, a team of nearly 400 volunteers provides 1,500 trips each month!
2. Some of our most memorable rides are the ones where unique connections are made. One volunteer was delighted to be able to offer a lift to the spouse of a local senator who had awarded her a scholarship 30 years prior. Another volunteer was excited to provide rides for two retired soldiers who, as it turned out, had fought on opposite sides of the same battle in WWII! (Both agreed that war stinks 😊)
3. When COVID shut a lot of businesses and services down, Neighbor Ride and our volunteers stepped up – working with the Office on Aging and Independence, the Safe Food Pantry, and the Howard County Food Bank to deliver meals and groceries to homebound community members.
4. We really are about providing the “wheels” that help our aging neighbors continue to be their fabulous selves. This has meant taking our passengers to art and fitness classes, volunteer activities, and even to a slumber party!
5. Our volunteers don’t just drive. They are 100% committed to the health and well-being of all the seniors we serve. During the COVID crisis, office volunteers made over 1,200 calls to clients – first to check-in at the beginning of the pandemic, and then later to offer assistance with accessing vaccines.
Visit Winter Grace Senior Ministries to Learn More about Our Holistic, Christian Ministry with and for Older Adults. We would love to work with you individually, with your family, and/or your church family. Our mission is to: